Sunday, May 18, 2008

Chapter 1



Fyre!

Chapter 1

It was a day like any other. That guy would come on, log on Fyreball and then keep refreshing his inbox for the rest of the day. From where I am, I’ve seen a lot of stuff on here, although seeing everything on a flat page from a frame in it could be pretty hard. I looked behind me now and then, darkness as usual. It was probably not a good idea to venture out there, and if that guy saw I had left, he’d just upload me back. Above me was the frame of the window I stood in. “Sanmin” it said.

Something new had happened lately, something odd. These new characters had appeared on the site, and one of them, the one who called himself “Neuromancer” had been sending out hidden signals throughout the site. As an Avatar, I had a pretty good understanding of codes but none of these had made any sense. But just now I received something new. The guy was looking at some discussion about Unicorns versus Pandas, where the Unicorns were obviously superior, and this code came past me. It said:

//Initializing operation Trek//

//Avatars located//

//Background vaporization standing by//

//Initializing protocol…//

I didn’t understand what it meant, but it somehow involved us avatars. And before I could ponder it more, I felt a strong suction behind me, and I watched my frame fly away, only to be a small square in the dark, before I was too far away to see it. I screamed, and I could hear other screams as well, but I couldn’t see anyone.
I fell for a long time, and then suddenly light appeared. My eyes didn’t take long to adjust, being accustomed to look at the Fyreball page background and all, and then I saw all the other avatars I knew from Fyreball standing all around me. There was Defnop with his thick mustache and top hat, Sketch with the purple haired z0mb13 qu33n and grim look, Qbix looking like an ordinary 19 year old teenager but with a strange suitcase with a heart on it and many, many others I recognized.

We were in a large hall with all golden walls and roof and a multi colored floor. The roof was a big dome; the floor was tiles laid in a pattern forming the Fyreball logo and the walls curved to form a round room with big windows leading to blackness. On the other side of the room there was a large carved wooden door and in the middle of the room was a single door standing simply in the open with a big red X on the side facing us. That door opened away from us and then closed. A moment passed where we could not see the newcomer, and then a black and white figure walked out from behind the door. He walked towards us and stopped just a few meters from me, I was standing in the middle of the front row.

“Welcome to Beta” He said out aloud in a computerized voice. “This is the background of Fyreball. This is where the site is maintained and built upon. I have called upon you to help protect it from threats that will come soon. This door in the middle is strictly off-limits for your own safety, and do not believe that your uploaders will bring you back. They cannot do such because you are here now. When you walk through the door in the back, you will be greeted by the Admins who will teach you what you need to know. I will be watching you all, and I will talk to you again when you are needed.”

He then turned around and disappeared through the door of which he came. We all looked around at each other for a moment before Qbix tapped into his natural leadership and said “Come on; let us find out what is through that door.” Then we started walking towards the door in the back, everyone taking a big curve to avoid the middle door. I could see a golden plate on the side of the door facing the other door in the wall, but with letters too small for me to read from here.

We reached the other door and walked through. It was big enough for three ordinary persons to go though shoulder to shoulder, but of course some of us were not of normal human size, some smaller and some larger. Even though we were a few hundred, we all came inside pretty quickly. We were now standing in a long straight hall with doors on either side all in a red color and with a dark reddish brown wooden floor. A door on our right a few doors down opened and out walked an unusually youthful and pretty lady carrying a small dog. She turned and looked towards us. “Hello, I am Kathleen or Cookiecups as I’m often called. I will guide you to this place and help you settle. Follow me.”

We all walked down the hall and in through a wide door on our left. “This is your dorm, you may each find a bed and sleep if you must” (Jeffers looked up at this) “and then settle in. I will see you in the morning.” We all scrambled to find a bunk; I got one with Defnop on my right, Qbix on my left and Sketch across. I looked around. This room looked much like the hallway but with various de-motivational posters and lolcat pictures hanging on the walls. Some were looking at these and laughing, some were finding their place and settling in, and Jeffers were already fast asleep, with Delta0Medusa looking at him like Jeffers passed out on his bed. At the end, a large red clock hung which showed, according to what time I last remembered when I was taken away, GMT time.

No one was really talking. We all understood what we were here for, and didn’t really feel angry about it, but we were all a bit perplexed. Those who needed it fell asleep soon, Defnop too. His top hat was still on, a bit askew. I soon passed out too; I guess I had to since we probably had a lot to learn tomorrow.

_____

Original post: http://www.fyreball.com/d/Bfv08E

So here you have it, my new series. TFCH will still come out on fridays, btw next chapter will be chap 13 revisited. Hope you like this, and if you'd like to be mentioned, just post and I'll see what I can do.

- Ting

No comments: